DBCA was formed on 1 July 2017. This followed Machinery of Government changes announced by Western Australian Premier Mark McGowan, which included creating a number of new amalgamated departments.
The department reports to:
- Minister for Environment; Climate Change, Commerce Hon Amber-Jade SANDERSON BA MLA
- Minister for Tourism; Culture and the Arts, Heritage Hon David A TEMPLEMAN Dip Tchg BEd MLA
DBCA incorporates the functions and staff of:
- the former Department of Parks and Wildlife (now Parks and Wildlife Service)
- Botanic Gardens and Parks Authority
- Rottnest Island Authority
- Zoological Parks Authority
- Conservation and Parks Commission
- Swan River Trust
DBCA is led by Director General Mark Webb. Mark also acts as the Chief Executive Officer for the Botanic Gardens and Parks Authority, Rottnest Island Authority and Zoological Parks Authority.