Sandalwood licences will be supported by sandalwood tracking forms that will accompany the sandalwood when it is transported from the place of harvest to the processor or dealer and between processors and dealers. These ensure that the legal origin of the sandalwood can be established during transaction, inspections or compliance procedures.

More information can be found in the fact sheet available below.

The Forest Products Commission (FPC) issue contracts to take wild sandalwood from Crown land. The FPC can be contacted on 9363 4600 or

DBCA may issue licences to take wild sandalwood from Crown land in areas where native title has been determined.

If you are interested in applying for a licence to take wild sandalwood from private or Crown land, please contact DBCA’s Wildlife Licensing Section on 9219 9832 or

The following table specifies the new licence types, and a brief outline for each.

A Sandalwood Tracking Form (STF) is required to accompany sandalwood when it is being transported from one location to another.

Sandalwood licences - 
Licence Description
Flora taking (sandalwood) licence* Take sandalwood from private land. Authorises preliminary processing in the field (ie debarking) as well as the supply (sale) of sandalwood
Flora supplying (sandalwood) licence* Supply (and possess for the purpose of supply) sandalwood taken lawfully from private property or Crown land including cultivated/plantation sandalwood
Flora dealing (sandalwood) licence* Deal in (purchase and/or supply) sandalwood including cultivated/plantation sandalwood
Flora processing (sandalwood) licence* Processing sandalwood including cultivated/plantation sandalwood and/or operate a processing establishment
Flora exporting (sandalwood) licence* Exporting flora from WA interstate (does not include direct export overseas – permit required from the Australian Government)
* Please contact Wildlife Licensing Section to obtain copies of the application forms or for any other information.