Licences and permits
Licences and permits

Licences, permits and authorities are required for a range of activities in department-managed areas. These are issued under legislation including the Conservation and Land Management Act 1984, Biodiversity and Conservation Act 2016 and Rottnest Island Authority Act 1987. Other activities including flying a drone over national parks and other conservation areas, and installing, owning or using moorings in marine parks and reserves require permission to be obtained from the department.

Commercial operator licences

Information for businesses delivering tourist, recreational or educational services for private benefit while on conservation or forest estate.

Commercial photography and filming licences

Information and approvals for photographers taking images or footage for commercial purposes on DBCA-managed lands.

Commercial photography and filming (Kings Park and Botanic Garden)

Terms, conditions and regulations for photographers, including for commercial, media and wedding photography.

Commercial photography and filming permits (Rottnest Island)

Guidelines and permits for commercial filming and photography on Rottnest Island.

Firewood collection permits (Perth Hills)

A permit (Authorisation) is required to collect firewood in the Perth Hills.

Moorings in marine parks and reserves

Information on installing, owning or using a mooring in a Western Australian marine park or reserve.

Native fauna licences

Information and application forms for taking, possessing, disturbing, dealing, importing or exporting native fauna.

Native flora licences

Information and application forms to take, supply, process and deal in native flora.

Other Rottnest Island Authority approvals and permits

Including development, driving and event applications.

Remotely piloted aircraft/drones

Rules for flying your remotely piloted aircraft in Western Australia’s national parks and other conservation reserves.

Sandalwood licences

Information and licences for taking, transporting, supplying, processing, dealing and exporting sandalwood.

Swan Canning Riverpark development applications and permits

Information and applications for developments, permits and commercial activities around the Swan Canning Riverpark.

Threatened ecological community disturbance authorisation

Information and how to apply for authorisations to modify threatened ecological communities.

Threatened fauna authorisation

Information and how to apply for authorisations to take or disturb threatened fauna.


Depending on the type of event and number of people, bookings may be required for events held on department-managed land. More information is available on the Botanic Gardens and Parks Authority, Rottnest Island AuthorityPerth Zoo and Explore Parks websites.

Page reviewed 09 Aug 2019