The Authority is part of the Department of Biodiversity, Conservation and Attractions, which was formed on 1 July 2017. The Zoological Parks Authority reports to the Western Australian State Government through the Environment Minister.
The functions of the Authority include:
- controlling and managing Perth Zoo
- conducting and collaborating in breeding programs for the preservation of threatened animal species
- conservation and management of non-threatened species
- conducting public education and awareness programs
- providing and promoting recreational services and facilities at Perth Zoo
- conserving and enhancing the gardens, amenities and natural environment of Perth Zoo.
The Authority was established under the Zoological Parks Authority Act 2001. The act can be downloaded from the Parliamentary Counsel's Office website.
The Authority is led by Chief Executive Officer Mark Webb, who is also the Director General for the department, and Executive Director Wendy Attenborough.
Visiting Perth Zoo
Planning a visit to Perth Zoo? Find out everything you need to know to make the most of your day on our visitor website.