Determinations (decisions on development applications) under Part 5 of the Swan and Canning Rivers Management Act 2006 are listed on this page. A copy of the final assessment report is attached to each determination.



Previous determinations

This section contains determinations made between 2015 and 2020. Earlier determinations can be requested by emailing

Frequently asked questions

What if I don’t agree with the conditions on my development approval? 

If you have received an approval and do not agree with one (or more) of the recommended conditions, you can submit a request for reconsideration to the Minister. 

To submit a request for reconsideration of a condition please contact DBCA in writing at within 28 days of receiving notification of your approval and include: 

  • Title your email “Request for reconsideration of conditions” with your approval number (the file number written on the determination) 
  • Attach a copy of, or a link to, the determination (your approval) signed by the Minister  
  • Which condition(s) you do not agree with and why 

The Minister may respond with a decision where: 

  • No changes are made to the condition(s) in question 
  • The condition(s) is altered 
  • The condition(s) is removed 

If the condition(s) in question has been altered or removed, then DBCA is required to notify all agencies who were referred the application and must publish the amendment on its website. 

How long will my approval last? 

Development approvals determined under the SCRM Act do not expire, but will include the following condition: 

  • Approval to implement this decision is valid for two (2) years from the date of this approval. If substantial on-site works have not commenced within this period, a new approval will be required before commencing or completing the development. 

This means that your approval will expire if no works have started within two years after the date that the approval was signed by the Minister. If your approval expires, then a new Part 5 development approval will be required. 

What if I can’t commence works within two (2) years? What if I want to make a change to the plans that were approved? 

If your circumstances change and you require an extension to your approval, or you need to slightly alter the plans that were approved as part of your proposal, then you will need to apply for a Variation of extension of approval under Section 84 of the SCRM Act. 

To apply for an extension or minor variation, please contact DBCA in writing at and include: 

  • Title your email “Request for extension/variation” with your approval number (the File Number written on the determination)  
  • Attach a copy of (or a link to) the determination signed by the Minister (your approval) 
  • Advise whether you are applying for a minor variation or an extension 
  • If applying for a minor variation, then include details on what changes you are proposing as well as updated plans to reflect these changes 

Based on the information provided, you will be advised if your request can be processed under Section 84 of the SCRM Act. If your proposed variation is not considered ‘minor’, then you may be required to apply for another Part 5 development approval. 

Please be aware that a request for extension will grant no more than 12 months extension and can only be given once for any approval. After that time has expired, a new Part 5 development approval will be required. 

Please refer to the Swan River Trust Guideline SRT/A1 – Variation or extension of approval applying Section 84 for information on what is considered a ‘minor variation’ and a flow chart of the Section 84 process. Visit our policies, plans and guidelines manual page for more information.

Still have questions?

Refer to the Frequently Asked Questions page for more information.